Humanities Institute PhD Fellowships
The Humanities Institute will award four $6,000 PhD Fellowships for 2013-2014. Fellows will meet in a monthly interdisciplinary works-in-progress seminar.
Each department in the humanities, broadly defined, may nominate up to two candidates for the Fellowships, as selected by the department’s Director of Graduate Studies.
Applications, which are due Monday April 1, 2013, must be sent as a single pdf file to HI’s Program Administrator, Jinhee Song <firstname.lastname@example.org>. The letter of support may be sent as a separate pdf or Word document.
The application must include:
- PhD Fellowship cover sheet
- 200-word dissertation abstract
- four-page double-spaced application statement, including
- description of the dissertation and its intellectual contributions
- plans for the fellowship year
- timetable for completion
- cv of no more than two pages
- letter of support from dissertation chair (this can be sent separately)
Selection Criteria, from most to least important:
- The dissertation’s quality and scholarly potential
- The dissertation’s importance and relevance beyond the applicant’s home discipline
- The applicant’s professional accomplishments, including publications and presentations
- The applicant’s demonstrated ability and desire to participate in HI programs
- Fellows must have exhausted support from the home department
- Fellows must reside in WNY during the fellowship year