Humanities to the Rescue
COMMUNITIES / TRUST
April 12-13, 2023 | Multiple Locations | DOWNLOAD THE SCHEDULE (PDF)
Please join the UB Humanities Institute for this 2-day examination of Communities: Trust.
This event is FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
If the humanities remind us of our interdependence on one another, then we can discover in our stories, histories and all forms of art how that interrelatedness binds us as collectives, publics, neighborhoods, and families. This season we will examine how our many communities exist in relation to one another, while keeping a candid eye on the possibilities and pitfalls of co-existing—both in harmony and in struggle. Our hope is to carefully redefine the radical potential of building trust, together, in the face of discord and division.
The 2023 Humanities to the Rescue Campus Conversation (and the Buffalo Humanities Festival in the Fall) will highlight “Communities: Trust” as the fertile ground of discourse across our disparate fields, marking our responsibilities to people and place as the engine that drives humanist inquiry.
(alphabetical by first name)
- Antione Holmes, Director of Health Education and Outreach, Pride Center of WNY
- April Maxey, Film Director
- Benjamin Fabian, Associate Director, Dean of Students Office and President, LGBTQ Faculty and Staff Association
- Carrie Hawks, Film Director, Animator, Designer, Artist
- Christina Milletti, Interim Director, Humanities Institute
- Donte McFadden, Director, Distinguished Visiting Scholars Program
- Gi Swords, Programs Manager, GLYS WNY
- Gwynn Thomas, Associate Professor and Chair, Global Gender and Sexuality Studies
- J Coley, PhD Candidate, Sociology and Founder, The Buffalo Syllabus Project
- Jay Moran, Morning Edition Host, WBFO (NPR) and Co-host, Buffalo, What’s Next?
- Lindsay Brandon Hunter, Interim Executive Director, Humanities Institute
- Mathew Hall, Graduate Student, Global Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Michael Rembis, Associate Professor, History and Director, Center for Disability Studies
- Mishuana Goeman, Professor and Chair, Indigenous Studies
- Samina Raja, Professor, Urban and Regional Planning and Director, Food Systems Planning and Healthy Communities Lab
- Taylor Blake, Engagement and Education Coordinator, Pride Center of WNY
- Vasiliki Neofotistos, Associate Professor, Anthropology
- Rinaldo Walcott, Professor and Chair, Africana and American Studies
- Sherman Webb-Middlebrooks, Founder, The W.I.N. Initiative, Men’s Health Initiative Project Manager, Buffalo Center for Health Equity
- Victoria Wolcott, Professor, History
Special thanks to the following UB partners: Department of Global Gender and Sexuality Studies, Department of Media Study, Department of Music, Distinguished Visiting Scholars Program, Gender Institute. This event is made possible through the support of the Robert and Carol Morris Humanities Institute Fund, with additional funding from the UB Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
There are no upcoming events.
For information about previous Humanities to the Rescues, click on the links below:
- 2020 – Revolutions | Featuring Nick Cave (cancelled due to COVID-19)
- 2019 – Revolutions | Featuring Molly Crabapple and Sounds: Avant-garde, Modernism, Fascism
- 2018 – Environments | Featuring Margaret Atwood and an Environmental Film Festival