WBFO Eileen Silvers Visiting Professorships
The Humanities Institute awards one WBFO – Eileen Silvers Visiting Professorship in the Arts and Humanities per year.
The Visiting Professorship program – funded by a generous bequest of alumna Eileen Silvers (BA ’70) and proceeds from the sale of WBFO – brings world-class scholars, intellectuals, and artists to UB for short-term residencies.
During their time on campus, Visiting Professors co-teach classes with UB faculty, present public talks and exhibitions, direct symposia and conferences, and otherwise engage with students, faculty, and the greater Buffalo community.
The stipend ranges from $20,000-$30,000, depending on departmental contributions, and can include travel and living expenses. Visiting Professors are expected to be in residence from three to six weeks or more; residencies may broken into two periods during the same semester.
HI accepts nominations on a rolling basis, but they must be received by December 1 to be considered for the following academic year. The HI Executive Committee meets annually in early December to choose among the most promising proposals, in consultation with the potential host department(s).
Send ideas about potential candidates or formal nominations to David Castillo (email@example.com), Director, Humanities Institute.
Nominations should include:
• The candidate’s name, rank, and affiliation; a cv is also helpful
• A one-paragraph statement of the candidate’s influence on his/her field and the humanities and arts more broadly
• A one-paragraph description of the proposed activities in which the candidate would take part, including possible time frames
• A statement of whether the candidate has been contacted about this and how likely s/he is to accept a Visiting Professorship
• Please indicate how the candidate’s activities would reach a broad segment of the UB and/or WNY communities